|On Air||Monday - Friday: 7 p.m. - Midnight|
Up Close and Personal with Michelle Tellone God has rescued me and done so much in my life, I don’t even know where to begin. I grew up in St. Petersburg, Florida, yes, I’m a native Floridian! My parochial school upbringing gave me a reverence and respect for God but I never understood that He wanted a personal relationship with me. After seeing some hypocrisy and hurt in my own life, I made some really wrong choices. In eighth grade I was on the student council, straight A’s and a cheerleader and by tenth grade I was failing and pulled out of school. I went to work full time for my family in a men’s clothing and tux rental business. During that time my music was so important to me. I would win prizes from radio stations all the time and always thought that radio would be the greatest job in the world!
When I was 17 I went to Europe for three months with my grandparents. Even though I hadn’t given my life to the Lord yet, that trip had a profound effect on me. I met relatives from the other side of the world. I saw castles and Roman ruins and history like never before and I decided I wanted to do something with my life. I came back and took my GED and radio broadcasting license test and started at St. Pete. Junior College. After working in college and volunteer radio for a while I landed a part-time position at 102.5 FM, which was a dream come true at the time! I soon went from part-time to full time and became the music director. In the natural so much was going for me, I had a condo on the beach, a brand new Toyota and I had just been voted top female announcer in Tampa Bay by a local magazine. The drugs and partying in the secular music industry was unbelievable. For a 19-year-old tenth grade dropout I was making good money, but I remember feeling so alone, empty and unfulfilled. I didn’t like who I was.
Around Christmas time of 1981 I cried out to God and told Him I couldn’t live my life without Him any longer. He honored that desperate prayer and came into my life. After that it seemed that everywhere I went I met Christians who God used in my life. The Bible became so alive to me. God was speaking directly to me through His love letter! Through a co-worker at the radio station, I met my future husband. He had the same background as me and God was just beginning to do a work in his life as well. We were close friends for a year and went to church together. Then something changed and we realized we were meant for each other forever! December 3rd, 1983 we were married. Although I was still working in secular radio, I had written a term paper in college about the music industry and how the music we listen to affects us. Through that term paper doors opened in many churches to speak to teens. We were going all over the state, sometimes twice a week to share. God opened the door for me to work in Christian radio in 1986 and I’ve been a part of the Radio Training Network family ever since!
I have the privilege of sharing the evenings here on the Wind!
Jesus has filled that empty place that was in my heart. He has blessed me with a wonderful husband who loves the Lord. He is a worshipper who for years has been training up worship leaders in our community. John and I are blessed with six beautiful gifts from Him! Elisha who is married and given us 2 beautiful grandsons, Kieran and Eason, my sons Joshua and Caleb, and my other daughters Crystal, Hannah and Angelina. Plus lots of other kids who we’ve taken in and made a part of our family! I am very passionate about foster care and adoption and have a dream of seeing every child who needs a family placed in a Christian home.
Our love for young people has continued and after years of ministry with Youth for Christ and as youth pastors at a number of churches in our area, God birthed a non-profit outreach call Whole Hearted Youth years ago. The Front is our full time ministry, we are seeing hundreds of young adults, many really raw from the streets, gathering for deep worship, the Word and outreach opportunities. The Front opened up May 2003 in a shopping center and we are amazed to see what God is doing there!
It’s so incredible to see the Lord rescue and transform lives! He has done it for me and I know He longs to do it for you! Just ask.
Things you may not know about me:
- Jesus is my passion!
- One of my favorite quotes "Make me a fuel flame of God" Amy Carmichael
- Fav movie: Sound of Music (the original)
- Fav music: everything from Skillet to Bethel!
- I'm reading about 6 books right now along with my Bible. I especially love reading books on prayer and revival!
- I have a tribe of 6 amazing kids & and 2 grandbabies and I have been have married to the love of my life for 33 years!
- I am a strong advocate of foster care and adoption. We have fostered and adopted two of our beautiful girls.
- My husband and I are College pastors and run the Front, an outreach in our city. www.thefront.info
- I've been in radio since I was a teen. Currently I’m on the air at The JOY FM in Florida and Atlanta, WAFJ in South Carolina, KWND in Missouri and The Q 99.7 and 90.1 in New England.
- My first interview was Mike Love of the Beach Boys.
- I've held a Koala (they're not as soft as you'd think) and fed Kangaroos!
- We have a big Siberian husky/English Mastiff named Ezra, two horses, Narnia and Majesty.
- A favorite verse: "The Lord your God is in your midst, He is mighty to save you. He exalts over you with joy, He quiets you in His love, He rejoices over you with singing!" Zephaniah 3:17